The EU Office of German Caritas
The EU office is situated in a strategic location in the heart of the European district, vis-à-vis the European Parliament, the European Economic and Social Committee and the Committee of the Regions. The EU Office works in close co-ordination with the Berlin Office of the Deutsche Caritasverband and its Central Office in Freiburg. In an organisational context, the EU Office of the Deutscher Caritasverband is linked to the Berlin office. The co-operation with the Caritas associations at diocesan level and with the specialised associations is ensured via the conference of EU desk officers of diocesan Caritas associations. Other bodies support this process.
A process of mutual information and exchange (national-European and vice-versa) serves to identify social policy issues, on which the Deutscher Caritasverband takes a position in the context of European policy and positions itself as actor within civil society.
What are the tasks of the EU Office?
- Information research and assessments on current issues relating to European policies and funds
- Involvement in defining the Association's positions that have a European policy dimension
- Lobbying with regard to joint positions and project funding
- Efficient information policy via the DCV/EUFIS Newsletter and use of Carinet (European activities)
- Networking with other NGOs active at the European level
- Support for project funding
- Support during information visits to Brussels
- Organisation of events relating to European policy issues
- Finding contacts in Brussels
- Support for the increasingly European outlook of the Association's activities
Our building in Rue De Pascale was purchased by Deutscher Caritasverband already in 1990. The objective was to offer a place where the DCV and German charities could be represented vis-à-vis the EU in Brussels.